Lights inside the hull, or outside ?

Illuminating the Abyss.
dtrip

Lights inside the hull, or outside ?

Post by dtrip »

Hello,

Thanks to your guys' valuable help, I am building an acrylic (plexiglass) ROV. Build thread soon.

I want the lights to operate at 200 meters depth, and illuminate 30-50 feet from the hull.
(acrylic does not last that deep, but I plan to later build the same ROV but with a steel hull)

The basic design question Im facing is where to place the lights. I prefer inside.

PROS + : cheap and reliable to any depth the hull withstands
CONS- : they take up space, overheat and perhaps "blind" the camera if they reflect on the window.

I think those are serious issues. Can they be solved you think ? Generally any suggestions from your experience ?

Thanks in advance
Dimitris
ROVER3D

Re: Lights inside the hull, or outside ?

Post by ROVER3D »

Hello Dimitris,

for the lights, the important thing is the distance to your cam. you have to set it as far as possible to your cam for best visibility and video.
dtrip

Post by dtrip »

Aha I get it. So its outside, then. Thanks.

I have seen your thread about the ROV in your avatar, a piece of art really.
Are your LEDs in contact with the water, or inside ? (it is filled with oil as far as I remember).
If they are in contact with the water (outside the hull), some link where you bought them ?
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

I have seen your thread about the ROV in your avatar, a piece of art really.
thx 8-)
Are your LEDs in contact with the water, or inside ? (it is filled with oil as far as I remember).
not directly. they are glued with thermal adhesive on alu which has contact to the water.
i use CREE XM-L T6 emitter. the best high-power-leds...(don't buy cheap imitates from china at ebay or else...)
Use 1000mAh constant current sources (like Meanwell LDD-1000H)

ROVER3D has (8x) three T6 LEDs in series connected to constant current source at 4s Lipo Pack (12,8V min.)

only the electronic (modules) are filled with oil.